Ever wondered what the Edo period was like in Japan? Join us on this private day trip to Kawagoe to explore "little Edo", an ancient castle town that has preserved its historic charm. You'll be accompanied by an exclusive guide that will explain the fascinating history and show you all the cultural must-sees.
Private Day Trip to Kawagoe
After meeting your guide at the Shunjuku station, you'll board the train for Kawagoe. The journey will take just under an hour. Ready to escape modern Tokyo and travel back in time?
Upon arrival, we'll go directly to one of the town's main historical marvels: the Kita-in temple, an ancient Buddhist shrine built in the year 830. Here you'll find some of the most important Rakan sculptures in Japan.
After exploring the temple, we'll begin strolling through the city center, full of humming merchant streets such as Taisho Roman Street. Here we'll get an idea of what life was like in the 1910s and 20s. A lot of the buildings in this area are over 100 years old!
We'll pass by the quintessential black houses of the merchants in the Ichiban-gai district, which will really give us an image of the Edo period, a golden era in Japan. Then we'll visit the Toki-No-Kane bell tower, the symbol of the city built back in the 17th century.
Finally, we'll stroll along the Kashiya Yokocho, a street full of stores selling traditional Japanese sweets. We'll treat you to a delicious local snack, irresistible!
Once you've finished the snack, we'll say our goodbyes and end the tour on Kashiya Yokocho street. From here you'll return on your own to Tokyo.
Upon booking, you'll be able to decide between the following options:
- Standard private tour
- Private tour + 10-minute rickshaw ride: experience a traditional form of transportation! A rickshaw is a 2 or 3-wheeled passenger cart pulled by a driver.
- Private tour + kimono rental: immerse yourself further in Japanese culture by renting a kimono to wear after the tour concludes
3 hours 15 minutes.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in English.
Transport ticket to and from Kawagoe
Private and exclusive tour, there won't be anyone else in your group
Lunch and drinks
When to book?
You can book up until 24 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Type of voucher
Electronic. Show the voucher on your phone.
Not wheelchair accessible.
All services published on Civitatis are carried out in accordance with our Sustainability Code.
Our providers commit to:
- Provide a safe and satisfying experience.
- Reduce, reuse, recycle.
- Incorporate eco-conscious technologies.
- Uphold fair employment standards.
- Foster the growth of local communities.
- Preserve the integrity of local culture.
- Safeguard both cultural and environmental heritage.
- Ensure ethical treatment of animals.
- Operate with honesty and transparency.
- Encourage sustainable behaviors among customers and staff.
This particular activity contributes as follows:
- No printing of documentation required.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions